Sorsakoski is an industrial village at Leppävirta in the Northern Savolax. Sorsakoski has a long, industrial history that includes timber, metals and hydro power. Hydro power from the rapids has been used as an energy resource at least from the end of the 18th century. That is when the lieutenant colonel Herman von Burghausen started operating a timber mill at the spot. As some years passed he also established a brick works and a mill to grind some grain. At the beginning of the 19th century these works and mills were passed on to the ownership of a trading firm called Hackman & Co. After the 1850's Sorsakoski was developed to be the center of our company's timber mills. Other mills of Hackman & Co. in the Eastern Finland were also directed from Sorsakoski.
The timber mill that was owned by Hackman & Co. burned down in 1897 and thus the timber operations in Sorsakoski were finished. The company however also owned a factory that made cutlery items and steel casseroles and so it started: the tradition of metal industry that is in its force even nowadays.